Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:16:07 +0100
From:      Sebastiaan van Erk <sebster@sebster.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   argument list too long

Hello people,

When I try tar a couple of files I get the following error. In fact, I get
the same error quite frequently when I use find to generate an argument
list. Is there a NICE way to work around old archaic DOS-like things
like argument lists which are too long?

eeyore(ttypc:29:0):~> tar -czvf jsp.tgz `find . | grep 'jsp$'`
/usr/bin/tar: Argument list too long.

I tried this on Linux, and IT has no problems with this. I always advocate
FreeBSD, but how can I explain this to people I'm trying to convert ;-)
I used to always cuss at Solaris when fmt truncated lines at 1024 characters
(kind of defeats the purpose of fmt, doesn't it). But this is almost as
bad!

Greetings,
Sebastiaan van Erk