Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 15:29:19 -0500
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 errors

On the subject of Re: de0 errors, Don Lewis stated:

> A PCI bus analyzer could be useful if the problem is what I think it is.
> What processor and PCI chipset do you have?

This is an ALR Revolution MP-Pro system w/ 1 200Mhz PPro, 256MB Ram, 4 SCSI
Cards, a Video card, and a SMC Etherpower 10/100 Card.  Its an Intel 440FX
chipset..

> > Just using FTP between two hosts on the 100mbit net I see 2-3MB/sec and
> > receive at about half that.
>
> That's not very impressive.  To eliminate the influence of disk I/O, you
> might want to test network throughput using ttcp or something similar.  I'd
> recommend using ping to check for packet loss at the same time.  You
> shouldn't see any packet loss if you're sending between two machines on the
> same network segment.

Humm, tcpblast shows 4.0MB/sec.  Granted this isnt an empty net either, fairly
busy I would imagine.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich