Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 18:20:56 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more than one swapfile with vnconfig

On 4 Oct 2000, at 16:52, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 11:18:49PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to add yet more swap space to one of my boxes.  I'm using
> > vnconfig.
> >
> > /etc/vntab contains this:
> >
> >       /dev/vn0c /usr4/swapfile swap
> >
> > I created a new swap file using this command:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr2/swapfile bs=15m count=20
> >
> > I don't know how to specify the second swap file in the configuration
> > file.  I'd like to use both the existing and the new swap file.
> >
> > clues please.
>
> Your vntab has /usr4/ but you created the file under /usr2/ so
> you may want to verify if that is correct.  You can create the
> swapfile from vnconfig by the way, vnconfig(8).

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  I should not write late at night (repeat 100 times).
I already had one swap file (/usr4/swapfile) but this was insufficient.  So
I created another (/usr2/swapfile).  My problem was trying to figure out
how to specify both swapfiles withint the same /etc/vntab file.

> Anyway, assuming
> that /usr2/swapfile is where the file actually is, you would add the
> following to /etc/rc.conf:
>
> swapfile="/usr2/swapfile"
>
> Then, the following code from /etc/rc is activated:
>
> -----
> # Add additional swapfile, if configured.
> #
> case ${swapfile} in
> [Nn][Oo] | '')
>         ;;
> *)
>         if [ -w "${swapfile}" -a -c /dev/vn0b ]; then
>                 echo "Adding ${swapfile} as additional swap."
>                 vnconfig /dev/vn0b ${swapfile} && swapon /dev/vn0b
>         fi
>         ;;
> esac
> -----
>
> Hope that helps.

Now that is interesting.  Thanks.

For the time being, I've changed /etc/vntab to refer to the new swap file
instead of the old swap file.  I'll clean things up after BSDCon.

Thanks.
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://www.freebsddiary.org/