Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 14:40:21 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        xvudpapc <xvudpapc@savba.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIOS supports, systems not

xvudpapc wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question. My BIOS declares it knows and writes out the full
> capacity of my disk (8.4 GB) in BIOS setup,
> but no system is aware of it. I use BEOS, WIN98, OS/2, LINUX and
> FREEBSD. Every system of these declares the disk is 8 GB big. I have a
> Linux on a second disk. Is there a way I can tell FreeBSD in boot time
> how many cylinders, heads and sectors to use? My FreeBSD says this: ad0
> 16383/16/63. Although this is possible to tell it in Linux to Lilo.conf
> or at boot time, Linux is not my 8.4 GB disk.

Well, you have two ways of reporting drive size. In Win98 one kind of dir would
show you 8,384,000,000 or 8GB. The manufacturers find it convient to advertise
one way and the systems people the other way.

The product of (16383*16*63*512)=8455200768/(1024*1024)=8063MB or 8GB.

Kent

> I thank you in advance,
> Juraj

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html