Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 15:56:49 -0400
From:      Scott Augustus <scott@visgen.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ppp pointers?

Hey :)

So I'm slowly making progress getting my 3Com cellular modem (3CCM556)
working in 4.2.  After much fiddling I was able to figure out how to get it
up on a usable "com" port: /dev/cuaa3

I'm having a lot of trouble establishing a connection though.  I can get the
modem to dial up manually using ppp's term command but it's the next part
that causes me trouble.  I may have a difficult time explaining this properly
so bare with me :)

For one, the ISP I connect to supports both a regular "tty" type dial-up
where I just enter username and pass and can get a shell on the remote
system.  I am able to establish this connection but there seems to be a major
problem with it.  The only way I can think to describe this is that where the
usual motd should just scroll by after login, I have to continually hit enter
and it slowly paints itself on my terminal??!?

I notice as I type in term everything seems one step behind. For example, if
I type "atdt" after entering term the following appears:

ppp ON foobar> term
atd

The last character does not show up until I hit "enter" a few times.

So then comes an actuall ppp connection.  In order to establish a ppp link I
simply need to put a P in front of my user name: Puser

This seems to work in term up to a point, I see a message about obtaining an
IP, then ppp looks like it's about to fly, it pops back to the interactive
mode, gets as far as PPp then dies :(

Oh yeah, I also notice that the modem does not respond to standard commands
in term such as "at" or "atz".  Is that normal?

I'm assuming it's all inter-related?  Forgive me for my lack of "precision"
in describing this.... I'm learning.... *always* learning ;-)

--
Scott

foobar# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON foobar> show physical
Name: deflink
 State:           closed
 Device:          N/A
 Link Type:       interactive
 Connect Count:   0
 Queued Packets:  0
 Phone Number:    N/A

Defaults:
 Device List:     "/dev/cuaa3"
 Characteristics: 115200bps, cs8, no parity, CTS/RTS on
 CD check delay:  device specific

Connect time: 0:00:00
0 octets in, 0 octets out
0 packets in, 0 packets out