Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:55:05 +1000
From:      JacobRhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD logo...

Hey, (:

Think its time to add my 2c

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:24 pm, CARTER Anthony wrote:
> The only reason that religion was made was to explain to
> people why bad things happened to them...

Well actually in terms of Christianity, its existance is more due to the fact
a man came, claimed to be God, and rose from the dead. People would not have
stood up to the authorities throught the ages for someone who came, taught
good stuff, then died... anyway religious discussion aside...

> Also, just because the image is a demon, it does not mean that we propogate
> evil desires or information in favour of evil things. <smirk>Hey, why not
> stick a halo over the demons head?</smirk>That will negate his negative
> vibes...

It's ironic that it would be Christians who complain about the logo,
biblically speaking, there is no such thing as a 'demon'. The bible talks
about Angels, fallen angels (of which satan is one).  The image of a 'devel',
the image which cartoons tend to use to represent satan, is the typical red
horned beast, which is actually from greek/hellanistic mythology.

If your a Christian, its not red horned beings with forks which you should be
worrying about...

Regards,
Jacob

Jacob Rhoden            Phone: +61 3 8344 6102
ITS Division            Email: jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
Melbourne University   Mobile: +61 403 788 386