Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 19:25:47 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How Is The FeeBSD OS Like and Different Than Say Redhat or Suse LINUX

David Scheidt writes:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, David Kelly wrote:
>
> :As for home-grown or self-ported apps, they belong in ~/bin. Anyone who
> :has had to use a Unix system w/o the root password knows this. As a
> :sysadmin I've had to beat this into a number of luser's heads over the
> :years. *I* keep my personal stuff in ~/bin, and I'm the only user on
> :most of my FreeBSD systems.
>
> That depends.  If you've got local application that useful for multiple
> people, or for the administration of the box, it belongs in /usr/local.
> It's non-sensical to have backup scripts in ~david/bin.  The random scripts
> that make my life easier, like my nethack cheating scripts, certainly belong
> in ~/bin.

Users are always saying, "I need the root password because..." If you
are a SysAdmin then you get lots of practice saying NO! Probably the
all time lamest excuse I've ever heard was from one who was writing in
Fortran, Irix 3.3.3, and needed to read a serial port. First I heard of
it was the order from above, "Give this user root." Cornered the boss
to discuss the issues and learned the reason was, "so he can read the
serial port." Normally users don't mess with serial devices so I had
them locked down. Explained this, and how it meant the user did *not*
need root and the boss was happy. For a week. Luser came back demanding
not only root but that I tell him "where the uarts are." He was trying
to peek/poke 8250 UART registers from Fortran on an SGI workstation and
wanted root? In the end I had to write his serial routines and show him
how to use them.

If an application is useful for multiple people and the decision is
made to make it available to all, then its for the SysAdmin to install
it where ever he/she damn well pleases. In the process, a good SysAdmin
will stash a copy somewhere with notes as to whatever special it took
to get that application installed and working.

Many applications are not intended to be shared with all users on a
system. It is very common for, say, a CFD guru, to open a directory
within his home directory, containing his applications which others may
find useful. Those who what to us it often add this directory to their
own PATH environment variable.

I was always happy for users to share applications this way. Was one
less thing for me to fuss with. But when introducing new users to my
systems made sure they understood the significance of the search order
in their path, and why the dot directory was not there by default.

Projects typically had their own filesystems. Opened to write by the
project group. And left to the project to manage their resources. Once
again this is the right place to put their applications, not
/usr/local/, not /usr/bin/

More than once, on systems that were not mine, I've had gcc, kermit,
emacs, gawk, ... all compiled into my own ~/bin, ~/man, ~/lib.

Had a heck of a time once when a SysAdmin had altered the system's
default path so PATRAN was searched first. PATRAN's split utility was
*not* the one I wanted. From then on I've hard coded my path.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net