Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 11:43:02 +0900 (JST)
From:      Arizona Coyote <coyote@ratbert.aisol.net>
To:        Jon Biddell <jba@fl.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Question

Hi,

NeXT hardware uses Motorola 680X0 chips whereas freeBD only runs on Intel
X86 hardware.  NetBSD has been ported to the Mac 68k and Amiga 68k
platforms.  I do not know if NeXT hardware is similar enough to one of
those two to run NetBSD or not.  You might wnat to sniff around
http://www.netbsd.org/ anyways.

Shouldn't the hardware come with NeXTStep already installed?

Mark

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Jon Biddell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a NeXT Turbo Monochrome System, and will soon be getting a NeXT CUBE
> !! (440Mb Hard SCSI drive, 1.44Mb Floppy, 16Mb RAM, 68040 processor)... Is
> FreeBSD suitable for this hardware (I don't want to upgrade to OpenStep at
> a cost of $2000 !!
>
> Jon

Mark Andres               E-mail: coyote@ratbert.aisol.net
  / 100% Microsoft Free thanks to NetBSD and FreeBSD! \
         Mac Centris 650: NetBSD 1.2-current
        IBM ThinkPad 220: FreeBSD 3.0-current
Macintosh IIcx: NetBSD 1.2.1 | http://bullwinkle.aisol.net/