Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:09:00 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oddity in name resolution

A FreeBSD system here in the lab is having trouble resolving host names
with underscores in them. Yes, I know, they're really not SUPPOSED to have
underscores in them, but many do. For example, the mail exchanger for The
Computer Museum in Boston is museum_alpha.tcm.org. They have no secondary
MX, so mail sent to anyone there just bounces. We may also be missing
INCOMING mail from them, since the mailer may reject mail from any host
whose name it can't resolve.

Some FreeBSD commands, such as dig, resolve the host name properly -- while
others, such as traceroute (when I use the same host name as a command line
argument) don't.

Does anyone know of a way to get around this problem?

--Brett