Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 21:24:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Steve Kaczkowski <steve@inc.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Am I doing this right?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Steve Kaczkowski wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade a 3.4 Release box to the latest Release tree, but
> running into a few problems, I'm betting someone here can help me! :)

> I cvsup'd the the latest Release and all went well (no complaints),
> here's
> my supfile:
>
> *default host=cvsup3.freebsd.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=.

The expression "tag=." will get you the latest 4.0-CURRENT sources.  If
you want to track -STABLE, that should be changed to "tag=RELENG_3".

> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> src-all
> cvs-crypto
>
> Nothing too strange there so I'm assuming that's ok.
> I then remove the /usr/obj directory
> do the 'make buildworld' which churns for a while (Only a P166)
> All seems fine with the build, now here is where I run into some issues.
> I've found some conflicting infomation as to what the next step is.
>
> One source says that I should recompile my kernel, reboot into single
> user and do a 'make installworld'. Makes sense but I can't recompile my
> kernel, I get errors like:
>
> config GENERIC
> config: line 20: Unknown machine type
> config: line 20: syntax error
> config: line 21: syntax error
> config: line 22: syntax error
> Specify machine type, e.g. ``machine vax''
>
> Etc,etc,etc,etc... It doesn't know ANY x86 CPU, funny enough it doesn't
> complain if I stick in 'machine vax'.

This is happening because under 4.0, you no longer need quotes around
options, for example if you have
cpu		"I586_CPU"
it would be changed to
cpu		I586_CPU

> Now if I do the 'make buildworld' then drop directly to single users and
> attempt
> the 'make installworld' it'll go for a bit and then finally error out
> with:
>
> install-info --quiet  --defsection="Programming & development tools."
> --defentry="* libcom_err: (com_err).        A Common Error Description
> Library for UNIX."  com_err.info /usr/share/info/dir
> install-info: unrecognized option `--defsection=Programming &
> development tools.'
>         Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Not quite sure what to check, I've done this probably 10 times now and
> it seems
> to do the same thing each time...
>
> Any hints?

Upgrading to 4.0 from 3.x is a little bit more complicated than simply
doing "make buildworld && make installworld".
The file /usr/src/UPDATING will tell you how to do it under the heading
"COMMON ITEMS".
Also, note that 4.0 has not yet been released and is still under
development, meaning be prepared to have flames in your mailbox should you
ask any questions that are "stupid".
You should also subscribe to freebsd-current.