Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:59:35 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org wrote:
> Bart Silverstrim writes:
>
>> Then why new versions?
>
> Because Microsoft has to sell new versions in order to maintain its
> revenue flow.  The only other option is licenses that are not
> perpetually valid (i.e., licenses you have to pay for again each month
> or each year).

There is a third option.  Microsoft can simply quite releasing new
versions
of it's established products and go to work creating new products that
people
would want to buy.

Think of it.  Instead of every 2 years yet another tired old bloated
overengineered
version of Windows, they could come out with a brand new operating system
named
something completely different.  For example, 'doors'

Doors would be a completely 64 bit OS, would NOT run Windows binaries and
not
be backwards compatible at all.  It would be written to be lickety-split
fast.
It would be voice-activated, no mouse.  Applications would have to be
recompiled for it.

Because of the lack of all the Windows baggage, Microsoft could use all
of
the good things they have learned writing Windows, to create their new OS
"Doors" and not have to inherit any of the bad things and mistakes of
Windows.

Of course, for people that didn't want to scrap out their existing
Windows
applications, they could just keep buying old Windows licenses.

For people wanting to run apps far faster and better than Windows, they
would buy Doors and buy Doors applications.

But of course, you won't ever see this kind of visionary product from
Microsoft, because they are a company of mediocre programmers.  That is
why
50 years from now we will still be running Windows, and computers
will not look anything whatsover like they do in Star Trek.  (except
for that old Mac toaster in the save the whales ST movie)

Ted