Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:55:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      f f <smowball99@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   *Help* limits on FreeBSD

Hello

I'm currently working on trying to raise limits on our
FreeBSD machine from 1064 to 8192 or even higher for
our chat service.

I did this (which worked for the time being)
sysctl -w
kern.maxfiles: 8192
kern.maxfilesperproc: 4096

This raises the limits but when I compile the IRCd and
have the (hard limit) to 4096 or 8192 or even higher
the error comes back and says its still stuck on 1064

Someone told me to store these limits (above) in
a etc/sysctl.conf file but when I went to etc that
file wasn't in there .. do I have to newly create the
file or should it already be there?

What I'm trying to do is to set the limit HIGH enough
for the chat service to allow 8,192 or more users to
connect to our chat service (this limit is what I'm
trying to set the kernel to not the 1064 limit)

Thanks again for your help