Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 18:09:11 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

At 2:22 PM +0200 1999/9/6, Pascal Hofstee wrote:

> As has been stated several times before and can also be read in the
> UPDATING file (at least on 4.0-CURRENT)

	I read the /usr/src/UPDATING file, and noted a number of things
had changed.  Once I got make world finally done (after about three
hours), I rebooted and started work on configuring my new kernel.

	I ran into some problems with a number of things that had changed
in the format of kernel configs, but the biggest thing I've run
across so far is the fact that Berkeley Packet Filtering (bpf) is now
enabled by default, as opposed to disabled by default.

	This opens a *huge* security risk for anyone who doesn't
reconfigure their kernel or doesn't fully comprehend the potential
danger here.  Are we really sure that the FreeBSD Inc. has
sufficiently increased it's liability insurance to cover the
potentially multi-million dollar lawsuits that might result from this
change?

	Most of the rest of the stuff I think I've managed to figure out
on my own, and although changes of this scale at this stage somewhat
concern me, I figure I can work them out.  And this is a particularly
good machine for that, since it's going to be an internal support
machine I can play with for a while.

	But this liability issue *really* concerns me.

	Jordan?  David?  Anybody got any semi-official statements on this issue?

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.