Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:14:45 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sf.net: host not found

On Mar 31, 2004, at 10:52 AM, Shantanoo wrote:

> I told you how to setup your _own_ _DNS_ server. You won't need to
> use other DNS server.
>
> Shantanoo

Forgive me, but does the country block access to the root Internet
servers?  If so, wouldn't it only cache information that is
available...i.e., if his DNS server can't get the IP's for those sites
because his upstream has it blocked, he could only get the crippled
available IPs from those within the country?

I knew they blocked things in the country using proxies, but I didn't
(and don't) know the full range of the blocking that's done...my first
thoughts were that he was inviting trouble by discussing trying to get
to these sites on a public mailing list, wondering if "they" were
watching and noting his attempt to subvert their blocking.  Maybe
someday they'll come to their senses and drop the Internet censorship
:-)