Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:59:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        numard@smartmedia.com.ar (Numard)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do i need to use X remotely?

Numard wrote:
> HI!
> i have a FreeBSD server in USA, and since i'm in Sydney,i've to telnet
> into it all the time :).
> I'm also using Linux here, so i was thinking how could i export the
> DISPLAY to my Linux (from X-progs. in FreeBSD, such as X-emacs,etc).
> Will it be fast over a 33.600 line (on my side, the other end has lots
> of bandwith).

One choke point chokes everything :(

> Also, what libs do i have to install on the freebsd side?

Any ones that the applications you intend to run there require.
Install a regular X-distribution is the easiest course. But you
don't need to configure X on bsd.us, or run the X-server.

> Thanks!

name of BSD host:  bsd.us
name of Linux host:  linux.au

The linux host is the X-server, since it is the machine with the
X display.  The BSD host need not run X. It need not even have a monitor.

linux.au will run X.  Access to the X server needs to granted to
bsd.us. The simplest way is to use xhost; see man xhost. Xauth
is more complicated. I believe that an encrypted session can also
be set up with ssh, but know no details.

Then cause apps to run on bsd.us with the DISPLAY environment
variable set to linux.au:0.0  (or -display command line arguments).

Expect this to be usable, but pokey.

Try to run as much as possible on linux.au. (Definitely run the
window manager locally.)  If you want to open an xterm on bsd.us,
for example, you want to run the xterm on linux.au, something like:

linux.au $ xterm -e rlogin -8El username bsd.us &

as opposed to:

bsd.us $ xterm -display linux.au:0.0 &

There are some optimizations that can be made on linux.au,
(what I'm not sure :) to things like saving covered windows locally.
Somebody else might tell you the truth about these.

I've done what you describe, and it works. It works best for
compute-intensive apps, like if bsd.us is a number cruncher.
Really graphics-intensive stuff is probably going to suck.

It is very easy to set this up and try it. See if things work to
your satisfaction before committing to a major change in habits.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'