Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 95 11:51:08 GMT-3:00
From:      Rodolfo Heitor Gevaerd de Faria <rodolfo@coe.ufrj.br>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.0-RELEASE problems...

   Hello all,

   I decided to try 2.1.0-Release, specially because I had to make a IDE
CDROM work, and there was a serious problem..

   I had installed 2.0.5 in this machine and it worked just fine (except of
course for the IDE CDROM) then I saw that 2.1.0 was just released and then
downloaded a boot disk (atapi.flp). When I tried that it just hangs. I thought
at first it was the CDROM fault (It's one of those Creative Labs Multimedia
Kit 4x CDROM). Then I downloaded the kernel sources and started to experiment
some other configuration. The problem happened when the kernel started to probe
the PCI devices (It's an 100Mhz Pentium, ALI chipset (is that any good?)).
With the 2.0.5 it just worked fine, it could find the VGA card (a Cirrus 523x
chipset), with the 2.1.0 I could only boot disabling the pci bus.

   Can someone give me an idea? That happened with the 2.1.0-RELEASE...
It's kind of bad for things like that happen with a RELEASE version. :(

   Basically the only thing I have in the PCI bus is the VGA card, so I
can still boot with the pci bus disabled, But that problem may arise with
other people.

   I'm thinking it's because something has changed in the kernel that the
ALI chipset doesn't support. I tried to get a Intel chipset, but it's not
me who actually buys the machines :(. ( I also tried to get a SCSI CDROM,
but...)

   I'll try do write down the messages I get when I'm using PCI...(It doesn't
get logged, the system just locks..) I'll send them to the list.

   Thanks if anyone can help me.

	Rodolfo H G Faria
       <rodolfo@coe.ufrj.br>