Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:30:09 +0100
From:      Lorenzo Perone <lopez.on.the.lists@yellowspace.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirroring slices

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me an advice on how viable and
reliable it is, to use gmirror on a slice of an MBR-style partitioned
disk, and use the second slice(s) within a zpool.

I remember a discussion here on where metadata is kept (always at the
end of the disk as opposed to the end of the given consumer?), so I
wasn't sure about how much of a good idea this might be. The reason
I'd like to have it like this is, that I had mixed bad experiences in
the effort of using ZFS as a boot and root volume, so I'd rather keep
a traditional slice for booting/rooting, and a zpool for the
production jails on that machine.

The example would be

provider: mirror/gm0
consumers: ad6s1 and ad8s1

zpool mirror made out of
ad6s2 and ad8s2

while experimenting, I got into the problem that gmirror label -v -b
round-robin gm0 ad6s1 got a permission denied (even with sysctl
kern.geom.debugflags=16/17). Any hints on what can cause this (I might
have screwed up something with fdisk/bsdlabel, but after
doublechecking I wonder what it could be..)

Is a GPT partition table better for this (I got further with another
machine by using GPT partitions)?

Thanx for any advice.

Regards,
Lorenzo