Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:18:22 +0100
From:      "Duncan Barclay" <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        "Christian Weisgerber" <naddy@mips.inka.de>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: General Wireless Network Question

> Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be> wrote:
>
> > With 802.11b devices, the best speed you will be able to see is
> > about 3Mbps,
>
> "11Mbit/s" nominally.  In practice, I can get ~550kbytes/s out of
> it.  That is very slow if you're used to Fast Ethernet.  Not that
> you are going to notice for web browsing.  OTOH, if you copy around
> CD images...
>
> > I would say that VOIP over 802.11b could very easily be marginal at
> > best.
>
> Oh c'mon, standard telephony voice is 64kbit/s.

But it requires guaranteed latency for acceptable quality. All RF protocols
that are designed to carry voice have contention free (i.e. reserved)
periods to ensure latency. e.g. Bluetooth, HomeRF etc. That's not to say it
can't be done with .11b but any 802.3 or 802.11 (802.15 MACs are different)
MAC is more concerned with getting the data through whatever the latency
rather than guaranteeing latency with some packet loss.