Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:17:50 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Justin C Sherrill" <justin@shiningsilence.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Gavin Kenny" <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:   RE: Recommend a NIC

There are significant differences between NIC's.  If you read any
trade magazines regularly, such as Network Computing, periodically
they do "bake-offs" ie. comparison studies between NICS.  It's like
their favorite thing to do.  The poorer Ethernet designs are slower,
use much more CPU and generate a lot more RFI.  Also they have much
more potential for problems in many more systems.

Granted you may not have noticed what you might call a statistically
significant problem but I can bet that when you DO run across a system
with a problem that a better quality NIC would solve it.  Also consider
that hardware incompatibilities most frequently manifest themselves
as intermittent problems, not bizarre showstoppers.  There's probably
many systems that you put cheap NICs in that appeared to work fine
but weeks later had a much higher incidence of problems.  Since Windows
itself is not a very good OS, the general populace has been programmed
these days to accept intermittent problems and crashes as a normal
part of the computing experience.