Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:52:07 -0700
From:      "DenDen" <daraiza1@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Newbie trying to install FreeBsd 4.0

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C04F6F.D35808A0

Hello,=20
I am a newbie to the FreeBsd environment and have just purchased the =
FreeBsd powerpack 4.0. I am trying to install the Bsd Os as a second =
partition next to Win 98. I have a 700 K7 processor with a maxtor 30 gig =
hard drive. I had three partitions on the drive and added a fourth on =
the primary where Win. is installed using the Fips tool supplied with =
the discs. I then set my Yamaha 8x burner as the primary boot device, =
assured the disc was in the drive, and rebooted. Bios recognizes the BSD =
disc in the drive and begins booting. It then comes up with " keyboard - =
no" and halts the booting. I figured it was my Win 98 keyboard and =
replaced it with a generic keyboard and tried booting again with the =
same results. I then created a kern.flp and msfroot.flp image with the =
fdimage utility. I set the Bios to boot off the floppy, inserted the =
kern.flp image disc ( I assured the discs were good by formatting) and =
the rebooted. The system halted again with the same error "keyboard - =
no". I went back to the books and your freebsddiary.org web site to see =
if I can find a solution but had no luck. Is there something I'm doing =
wrong or maybe it's my hardware? I'm seeking assistance as to what can =
solve my problem. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C04F6F.D35808A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello, </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am a newbie to the FreeBsd =
environment and have=20
just purchased the FreeBsd powerpack 4.0. I am trying to install the Bsd =
Os as a=20
second partition next to Win 98. I have a 700 K7 processor with a maxtor =
30 gig=20
hard drive. I had three partitions on the drive and added a fourth on =
the=20
primary where Win. is installed using the Fips tool supplied with the =
discs. I=20
then set my Yamaha 8x burner as the primary boot device, assured the =
disc was in=20
the drive, and rebooted. Bios recognizes the BSD disc in the drive and =
begins=20
booting. It then comes up with " keyboard - no" and halts the booting. I =
figured=20
it was my Win 98 keyboard and replaced it with a generic keyboard and =
tried=20
booting again with the same results. I then created a kern.flp and =
msfroot.flp=20
image with the fdimage utility. I set the Bios to boot off the floppy, =
inserted=20
the kern.flp image disc ( I assured the discs were good by formatting) =
and the=20
rebooted. The system halted again with the same error "keyboard - no". I =
went=20
back to the books and your freebsddiary.org web site to see if I can =
find a=20
solution but had no luck. Is there something I'm doing wrong or maybe =
it's my=20
hardware? I'm seeking assistance as to what can solve my problem. Any=20
suggestions would be most appreciated.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C04F6F.D35808A0--