Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 23:06:34 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0-20000307-CURRENT kern.flp keyboard probe questions

At 09:19 PM 3/10/00 -0600, Ryan Thompson wrote:
>Me as well...For at least a decade.  I used to do it manually all the
>time, but had occasional glitches with funny scan codes and indicator
>statuses.  With a mid-range priced switch, though, I have had no problems
>whatsoever.

The only glitches I ever see are with a mouse.  Tap me on the shoulder
while my hand is on the mouse and it will seize.  For my use at home there
isn't a need for a switch.  Could use one at times, but it's simple enough
to swap around at need.

Warner mentions static.  As someone that builds up a good charge, it is
always prudent to ground before (dis)connecting anything that is on or off.

> > If/when this does change, wishing there will be a way to override back to
> > the current behaviour.  IMO, serial console should be explicitly called
> for.
>
>Amen.  If I can't boot a system to the local console without a keyboard,
>that system isn't very useful.
>
>If the default DOES change, you should be able to change your boot.config
>to remove the -P option.

There have been a few times where I needed a video card from one system in
another and ended up with a truly "headless" system with no other system
near.  Log in, shutdown, power off, pop in card, do what I need to do, and
off with it's head.  Mind I was waiting for some basic cards and didn't
care to use a Matrox for 25X80.

My dispute is more for the scrap systems I tinker around with at home.  If
someone else is paying the bill.... 8-)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve