Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:12:49 +1000
From:      "Murray Taylor" <MTaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
Cc:        general@vicfug.au.freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: IBM / FreeBSD Install problem

=09Subject: Re: IBM / FreeBSD Install problem
=09
=09
=09At 07:07 AM 4/18/2007, Murray Taylor wrote:
=09

=09	Server: IBM X3850 (88633SM)
=09	CPU X 4: 40K2522
=09	HDD X 6: 40K1051
=09	IBM ServeRAID 8i: 39R8729
=09=09
=09	We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto
this machine and
=09	are running into a problem getting the operating system
to recognise the
=09	RAID controller. As a result not finding any disks when
it comes to
=09	installing the O/S.
=09=09
=09	We have attempted various modifications to the boot
process, including
=09	the loading of an "aac" module, which according to the
BSD website,
=09	should provide support for this type of controller.
=09=09
=09	When we attempt to boot to OS to install after making
these above
=09	modifications, the boot loader advises that this module
already appears
=09	to be loaded, which contradicts what I believe. In any
respect, it
=09	doesn't work either way (with or without the module
manually loaded).
=09=09
=09	One side note (which i don't think is contributing) is
that when I
=09	attempt to start the boot loader with ACPI enabled, it
freezes with the
=09	message "cpu id 38 too high". However if I boot the boot
loader with
=09	ACPI disabled, this message dissapears. It _may_ be a
possibility that a
=09	bi-product of disabling the ACPI is causing the RAID
controller to have
=09	issues. This appears to be an issue because of the X4
CPU count ??
=09=09
=09	That's a quick summary of the problem we have, and the
path(s) we have
=09	been down to date to attempt to fix it. Any help you can
provide would
=09	be very much appreciated. We are at the position now
where we are
=09	prepared to pay for consulting services to get it going.
=09=09
=09	Dave Faulkner / Murray Taylor
=09=09
=09	Bytecraft Systems
=09=09

=09Are you creating an Array before you try the installation?
=09
=09What does the console show for the recognized hardware, and not
recognized hardware?
=20     You can boot from CD and run dmesg to get this information.
=09
=09        -Derek

=09=20
The array is already created...
=20
The hardware for the RAID array _and_ the bge interface are not found.

Murray Taylor

Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems

P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
E: mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au=20

takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
--Albert Einstein=20

=20
The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.=20

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.

### This e-mail message has been scanned for Viruses by Bytecraft ###