Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing OpenOffice 2.0.2

This is just to document how to install this package from the FreeBSD package
system. The install is "easy" following the steps outlined.  the glitches could
probably be fixed with the appropriate symlinks on the package mirrors. I used
ftp2.

1) download openoffice.org-2.0.2.rc2.tbz from
   /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/editors

   If you do a package add ar this point you will get:

     pkg_add: could not find package popt-1.7_1 !
     pkg_add: could not find package linc-1.0.3_5 !
     pkg_add: could not find package howl-1.0.0_1 !
     pkg_add: could not find package libIDL-0.8.6_2 !
     pkg_add: could not find package ORBit2-2.12.5_2 !
     pkg_add: could not find package libbonobo-2.10.1_3 !
     pkg_add: could not find package gnomemimedata-2.4.2 !
     pkg_add: could not find package gconf2-2.12.1_1 !
     pkg_add: could not find package gnomevfs2-2.12.2_2 !

2) do pkg_add -r for the following: popt, linc, howl, libIDL, ORBit2,
   libbonobo, gconf2

3) pkg_add -r pkg_add -r gnome-mime-data

4) download gnomevfs2-2.12.2_2.tbz from
   /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/gnome

   pkg_add -f gnomevfs2-2.12.2_2.tbz

   force is required because the dependency is misspelled

5) pkg_add -f openoffice.org-2.0.2.rc2.tbz.

If you want Java, you must follow the instructions on the OpenOffice site. I did
this for my laptop but did not get it working so I skipped that here. The whole
process should take about 10 minutes (not counting downloading openoffice which
is about 100MB. I got some warning because some of my installed packages were
not the latest. I am still learning openoffice so I am not sure what the java
support will add to the package.

When I start the components, I get:

  javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
  I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"

This does not seem to cause a problem so I have not done anything with it. If
you want to try openoffice and do not want to build it from source I hope this
helps

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com