Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 14:44:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing software

Hey Guys,
I have a question about installing software.
What is the best way to locate and install?
I've been using /stand/sysinstall so far, but
that takes a long time for me to find what I am
looking for if I even do find it.

For example, I want to install netscape and imapd on a 4.2 system.
I've spent about an hour going through package groups and finally listed
all packages and still didn't find what I was looking for.

In debian linux, I would just do:

host> apt-cache search packagename

host> apt-get install package.deb

I've been very impressed by FreeBSD so far, and would be even more
impressed if I could figure out a better way to find and install
packages :) Any help or pointers to a FM to RTFM would be much
appriciated.

Thank you,

Ashby Gochenour
Unix Administration