Date:      Fri, 19 Aug 2011 13:26:07 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hello, Adrian.
You wrote 19 =C1=D7=C7=D5=D3=D4=C1 2011 =C7., 13:06:27:

>>> 3. Kernel features for complex network solutions (netgraph, carp, ipfw).
>>> =9A =9AThe niche for routers & traffic analysis is still ours. It would=
 be
>>> =9A =9Anice to take e.g. pfSense and agree with some vendor (Netgear,
>>> =9A =9AD-Link, etc) to put on sale hardware with FreeBSD inside.
>> =9AWhat about 10G routing? Here are reports about full-bandwidth 10G rou=
ting on modern
>> Intel NICs with Linux (and multi-core server), but I didn't see any
>> such data for FreeBSD, and somebody says, that Intel drivers and
>> network stack is not so good parallel in FreeBSD.

 I could say, that I have nothing to object to your message, I agree
with you almost completely. Some notes below, but they are minor ones.

> Linux works here because of two things:

> * there's a heavy following of -users- who are -developers-, and
  As far as I understand (I could be wrong), there's many COMPANIES,
which are USERS and hires (on-site, off-site -- it doesn't matter)
DEVELOPERS. It is not a situation when users are exactly same persons
as developers or vice versa, but they are linked together directly.

> * there's enough developers who want these features in Linux, so they get=
 done.
  And there is enough users, who want and can pay to these developers.

  I don't think, that "independent (private, hobby, whatever)
developers to independent users" ratio is better for Linux, that for
FreeBSD :) But number of payed developers, of course, is much, much
larger for Linux now.

  I have several FreeBSD users around me (they are not payed to be
DEVELOPERS, sometimes they are payed to be ADMINS, sometimes it is
their own non-profit systems, like mine), and everybody sent PR at
least once, often with patches to solve problem.

  About 1/4 of my friends (yes, I have non-typical friends, I know)
uses Linux on desktops, notebooks or servers, and most of them didn't
send any bugreports, not to mention patches.

--=20
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>