Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 23:32:18 +0200
From:      Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.kiev.ua>
To:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'config@freebsd.org'" <config@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'mike@smith.net.au'" <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: Multi-faced admin

--------------0D9DB95FA17AC9268C1299B7

Adam Turoff wrote:

> Looking at Mikael Karpberg page on his architecture for admin'ing a

URL ?

> FreeBSD
> box, I came across a link to Caldera's COAS project: http://www.coas.org
>
> I'm rather sorry to say that I haven't looked deeply into some of the
> broad
> scope ideas that people have been posting to -hackers recently.  (I feel
> rather guilty that I haven't committed my big picture to bits and bytes
> yet
> either.)  We all know what it means to be spread thin, I guess.  :-)
>
> Anyway, skimming over COAS, (Caldera Open Adminstration System),
> it looks like either it's something worth porting, or it's something
> worth
> improving upon.  All of the standard knobs are there, like curses/X/Java
> interfaces, etc.  (Sorry, I can't post a summary right now.  The code is
> at v0.09, appears to use lots of python and is GPL'd.)

 And it is very unclean, on first look.

>  ---
>
> Reading the post about UMich's LDAP engine, it sounds rather radical.
> So, as of the moment, here's a concise view of what I'm seeing/hearing
> for a FreeBSD framework:
>
>  - httpd type server (easy to plug any client into/write new clients)

   (why httpd server ?     first-step is cgi.

>  - standardized CGI interface subset for admin modules
>  - LDAP for config managment by admin modules
>
> Five layers (three for glue) to have any random client reconfigure
> any part of the system.  The top glue is pretty dumb; it just
> standardizes the interface.  The middle glue layer is where all
> the work is done.  The bottom glue layer appears rather dumb,
> but it should hide the complexity of a bazillion different config file
> formats
> (if I'm reading what Mike is saying about LDAP correctly).
>
> Sound good?  I'll start a prototype in my copious free time before
> the end of the month.  :-)

I now work on configuration system for FreeBSD, which have next layers:

 C++ API
               --------- Tcl  binding
                              ----------------- Tk Interface
                              ------------------ CGI Interface  (future)
              ---------  CORBA  (future)

At now I implemented all READ-CONFIG methods in C++,
 and write a part of GUI stuff, which looks better, than Linux UserCfg in
python.

look at http://cam.grad.kiev.ua/~rssh/admin/admin.html for details

About General interface with Set-Get/Add-Remove metods under abstract
stuff:
 sounds very good, but, imho, we must have glue API interface on some
"real"  language (tcl or CORBA ), but  not declarative "sheme".

>  -- Adam.
>
> PS: Mike, where can I find some docs, etc. on the UMich LDAP server?

Altavista on Query +LDAP  +UNIX work fine ;)

--

    @=
     //RSSH                              mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA

--------------0D9DB95FA17AC9268C1299B7

<HTML>
Adam Turoff wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Looking at Mikael Karpberg page on his architecture
for admin'ing a</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------&nbsp;
URL ?
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>FreeBSD
<BR>box, I came across a link to Caldera's COAS project: <A HREF="http://www.coas.org">http://www.coas.org</A>;

<P>I'm rather sorry to say that I haven't looked deeply into some of the
<BR>broad
<BR>scope ideas that people have been posting to -hackers recently.&nbsp;
(I feel
<BR>rather guilty that I haven't committed my big picture to bits and bytes
<BR>yet
<BR>either.)&nbsp; We all know what it means to be spread thin, I guess.&nbsp;
:-)

<P>Anyway, skimming over COAS, (Caldera Open Adminstration System),
<BR>it looks like either it's something worth porting, or it's something
<BR>worth
<BR>improving upon.&nbsp; All of the standard knobs are there, like curses/X/Java
<BR>interfaces, etc.&nbsp; (Sorry, I can't post a summary right now.&nbsp;
The code is
<BR>at v0.09, appears to use lots of python and is GPL'd.)</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;And it is very unclean, on first look.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>&nbsp;---

<P>Reading the post about UMich's LDAP engine, it sounds rather radical.
<BR>So, as of the moment, here's a concise view of what I'm seeing/hearing
<BR>for a FreeBSD framework:

<P>&nbsp;- httpd type server (easy to plug any client into/write new clients)</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp; (why httpd server ?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; first-step is
cgi.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;- standardized CGI interface subset for admin
modules
<BR>&nbsp;- LDAP for config managment by admin modules

<P>Five layers (three for glue) to have any random client reconfigure
<BR>any part of the system.&nbsp; The top glue is pretty dumb; it just
<BR>standardizes the interface.&nbsp; The middle glue layer is where all
<BR>the work is done.&nbsp; The bottom glue layer appears rather dumb,
<BR>but it should hide the complexity of a bazillion different config file
<BR>formats
<BR>(if I'm reading what Mike is saying about LDAP correctly).

<P>Sound good?&nbsp; I'll start a prototype in my copious free time before
<BR>the end of the month.&nbsp; :-)
<BR>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
I now work on configuration system for FreeBSD, which have next layers:

<P>&nbsp;C++ API
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
--------- Tcl&nbsp; binding
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
----------------- Tk Interface
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
------------------ CGI Interface&nbsp; (future)
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
---------&nbsp; CORBA&nbsp; (future)

<P>At now I implemented all READ-CONFIG methods in C++,
<BR>&nbsp;and write a part of GUI stuff, which looks better, than Linux
UserCfg in python.

<P>look at <A HREF="http://cam.grad.kiev.ua/~rssh/admin/admin.html">http://cam.grad.kiev.ua/~rssh/admin/admin.html</A>; for details

<P>About General interface with Set-Get/Add-Remove metods under abstract
stuff:
<BR>&nbsp;sounds very good, but, imho, we must have glue API interface
on some
<BR>"real"&nbsp; language (tcl or CORBA ), but&nbsp; not declarative "sheme".
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>

<P>&nbsp;-- Adam.

<P>PS: Mike, where can I find some docs, etc. on the UMich LDAP server?</BLOCKQUOTE>
Altavista on Query +LDAP&nbsp; +UNIX work fine ;)
<PRE>--&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; @=&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; //RSSH&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA">mailto://Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.UA</A></PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------0D9DB95FA17AC9268C1299B7--