Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:26:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Specifying ntpd bind() address

Sheldon Hearn said:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have a backup firewall on which I'd like ntpd to use the management
> interface for sending ntp queries.  Right now, I think it's using the
> public address, which is bad, because the public interface isn't always
> connected.
>
> How do configure ntpd to query from a specific IP address?
>
> Ciao,
> Sheldon.

Sheldon,

To the best of my knowledge it binds to all available interfaces, and I
never did find a config option to change that behavior.

But you can specify in ntp.conf(5) what address(es) it will accept clients
on.

e.g. if your lan was 10/24 you could specify something to the effect of:

   broadcast 10.0.0.255 autokey

Hope this helps.

--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"
     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire