Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:32:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@fledge.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem Installing SuExec on Apache 1.3

Well I shoulda searched better. But building it correctly just gets me to the
next error. I have a work around but am quite lost at this point.

In my case the answer for building apache was RTFMF. But it was also posted in
response to the same question for apache 2, for 1.3 it is:

  make WITH_APACHE_SUEXEC=yes

If anyone else has a similiar problem there us a great post on Date: Mon, 18 Jul
2005 from Drew Tomlinson.

However configuring it properly is another issue. Apparently when done wrong
there are no error messages. At this point I know suexec is incorrectly
configured for my setup. httpd runs as user apache uid=1001, gid=1001, and cgi
files must be in a subdirectory of ~user/htdocs. Not knowing how to do this on
the make line, I edited the top level Makefile as follows:

  APACHE_SUEXEC_DOCROOT?=${DOCUMENT_ROOT}
  APACHE_SUEXEC_LOG?=/var/log/httpd-suexec.log
  APACHE_SUEXEC_USERDIR?=htdocs
  APACHE_SUEXEC_UIDMIN?=1001
  APACHE_SUEXEC_GIDMIN?=1001
  APACHE_SUEXEC_CALLER?=apache

This put the values I intended into the build make file:

  #   suexec details (optional)
  suexec          = 1
  suexec_caller   = apache
  suexec_docroot  = /usr/local/www/data
  suexec_logexec  = /var/log/httpd-suexec.log
  suexec_userdir  = htdocs
  suexec_uidmin   = 1001
  suexec_gidmin   = 1001
  suexec_safepath = /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
  suexec_umask    =

Running a CGI under suexec gets the generic internal error message without
anything being logged into httpd-error.log, suexec_log, or error.log for the
virtual user being tested.

If I overlay suexec with the one from the 4.9 system I am trying to upgrade, it
all works. I am running httpd from the 4.9 system with the LoadModule list from
the genrated system. Again thanks for any thoughts.