Date:      Fri, 8 Jul 2016 19:28:15 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: More -Wformat warnings with r302403 -> Jenkins failure (was Re: FreeBSD_HEAD_amd64_gcc - Build #1358 - Still Failing)

During periods when devel/powerpc-gcc and lang/gcc5 [both currently =
variants of version 5] are at the same version trying to install both =
gives conflicts on at least one file.

During times when they are based on different versions [within the 5 =
range currently] they do not conflict when installed.

I expect that it is the same for amd64-gcc.

I've wished that I could have both devel/*-gcc and lang/gcc* all the =
time. For example I use devel/powerpc64-gcc to have a libc++ based =
system on a powerpc64 machine [no gcc 4.2.1 present/involved] and I've =
wished that I could also have lang/gcc5 present for other more =
non-FreeBSD specific uses.

When I first tried this they happened to be at different versions so I =
only discovered the issue later. Being a powerpc64 context: this was all =
based on source builds both times.

Having devel/*-gcc be more FreeBSD specific and lang/gcc* less so seemed =
to be a deliberate choice. If lang/gcc* gets everything devel/*-gcc has =
that is FreeBSD specific then devel/*-gcc might go away. The one other =
thing devel/*-gcc has is that it is a smaller build, omitting more. =
Would that be enough to keep devel/*-gcc around?

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net