Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:53:25 -0800
From:      lbruno@cmp.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Technical questions about BSD

I'm in the process of writing a feature story about open source Linux and BSD.
I'm doing some comparisons between them and commercial NOSes such as Netware and
NT. However, I have a few unresolved questions I need answered. First, I am
curious to know how many thousands of lines of code make up the BSD kernel?
Second, what hardware platforms does it run on Intel, SPARC, Amiga,
Alpha---etc.? What scripting languages can be used with BSD-- such as TCL, C,
C++, PERL, Java, Bourne, Korn ...etc.? What is the maximum number of processors
that FreeBSD can run on a SMP box--- 16 or 32? What are some basic differences
between BSD and Linux? What directories does an administrator working with
FreeBSD have an option of using--- NIS from Sun, DNS, X.500--others?  What is
the maximum file size that can run on a FreeBSD operating system-- 64 Mbytes? Is
clustering supported on FreeBSD? What is the minimum footprint of hard disk
memory that BSD can run on? Can you point out any other significant differences
between FreeBSD and other versions of BSD, such as OpenBSD and NetBSD?
Similarly, can you point out any differences between FreeBSD and Linux---as well
as NT and Netwre? Hope this isn't too much to ask...the trouble is I couldn't
locate the info in any other place.

Is it possible to get the answers to my questions within the next 24 hours? I'd
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Lee Bruno
Software and Security Editor