Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2019 09:30:30 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Albaro Pereyra <2albaropereyra@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNU split out of date

On Sat, 29 Jun 2019 13:48:37 -0700, Albaro Pereyra wrote:
> Why are tools such as GNU split so far behind let's say those found in
> linux for example?

Because FreeBSD's split version implements the POSIX standard behaviour
and requirements for split, nothing more, nothing less.

> If there is no real reason, how can we as a community expedite the process
> of getting this completed?

If the system's version of a tool is not sufficient, a GNU version of
the program (which extends the standards) can be installed from the
ports collection, such as gawg for awk, gsed for sed, gnuls for ls,
and so on. The versions provided by the OS form a "common denominator"
based on the standards. As GNU extensions usually aren't portable,
they did not become part of those standard utilities.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany