Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:17:38 -0600
From:      Michael Maxwell <drwho@xnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: runlevels ?

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 09:08:32PM -0500, Rich Fox wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a shot:
> If I remember correctly, Redhat has a multi-tier system that enables and
> disables programs depending on where you are in the boot process, (or
> where you want to be), hence runlevels. You can use this as a way to
> control everything that is going on with your box. It's one of the
> reasons, that when I tried FreeBSD for the first time, and it had a single
> 'runlevel' (or at least it booted into what I considered the final state
> of the operating system), I found it much easier to work with as a newbie.
>
> I consider it [various runlevels]  kinda neat, but at the time when I was
> learning, it was an unnecessary level of complication, (no pun intended).
> I hope to be working with Redhat again soon, although, I am still quite
> loyal to, and will stick with for my primary systems, FreeBSD :)

In general, you're correct in your description of runlevels, though they
are not exclusive to Linux.  They are used on SysV-based UNIX's, such as
Solaris, USL Unix, and many others...

BSD-based systems do not use this concept of runlevels.  Instead, we have
the scripts (/etc/rc*) run during the boot process.

However, FreeBSD 3.1 and later seems to prefer using the scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d in a fashion very similar to SysV-type runlevels.
Only main difference is there is still no concept of an actual *runlevel*.

--
    Michael Maxwell <drwho @ xnet.com>  |  http://www.xnet.com/~drwho/
       "American Justice: oxymoron.  William J. Clinton: moron."