Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:13:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Ted Richart <trichart@belltechlogix.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHClient issue

> When I recently built a box to use as a SendMail server, I opted to obtain
> an IP address automatically "thinking" that I can change it later. I have
> since added an static IP address, but the DHCP address is still showing up
> in the boot process. I can only ping this address, not the static one I
> specified in /etc/defaults/rc.conf. I am pretty new to this, and I
> want to

You shouldn't be modifying anything in /etc/defaults.  From the
rc.conf(5) man page:

[begin paste]
The /etc/rc.conf file is included from the file /etc/defaults/rc.conf,
which specifies the default settings for all the available options.
Options need only be specified in /etc/rc.conf when the system
administrator wishes to override these defaults.
[end paste]

As you can see, you should set all of your settings in /etc/rc.conf
and leave /etc/defaults/rc.conf alone.  I believe your specific
problem is coming from the fact that, in rc.conf, your interface is
set to use DHCP.  Since rc.conf overrides defaults/rc.conf, DHCP is
still used when your machine starts up (look for ifconfig_xx0="DHCP"
where xx0 is your interface).

> BTW, I see a lot on compiling the kernel, but I haven't seen a place that
> just walks you though it. Even an example would help.

There is a tutorial in the Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Note that the kernel build procedure has changed significantly in
FreeBSD 4.0 from what is described there.  Although the procedure
described on that page will work if you are building a kernel for your
current userbase (e.g.  you're just building a custom kernel, you're
not doing a source upgrade), I believe it is not recommended.

The recommended upgrade procedure can be found in /usr/src/UPDATING.
Here's the info you need in case you don't have that file:

[start paste]
        cd /usr/src
        # If you have not already done so, please buildworld here
        # You will also need to update your config file to 4.0.  Usually
        # people tend to start with GENERIC from 4.0 and hack from there.
        make buildkernel KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
        make installkernel  KERNEL=<YOUR_KERNEL_HERE>
        # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
        # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        chflags noschg /kernel
        chflags noschg /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        mv /kernel /kernel.old
        mv /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE /kernel
        chflags schg /kernel
[end paste]

If you're not doing a source upgrade, you can skip the buildworld step
described in the comments.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for public PGP key.

"Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you
count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet."
	-- Dave Barry