Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:27:23 +0000
From:      "Maxime Romano" <verbophobe@hotmail.com>
To:        piero@poprostu.pl
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: desktop gradient weirdness

>From: "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
>To: piero@poprostu.pl
>CC: gnome@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: desktop gradient weirdness
>Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:02:47 -0500
>
>>On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 17:38, Piero wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> >    I am using a gradient background on my Gnome desktop, no background
>> > picture to save memory. Upgrade of XFree86 to 4.3 effects in a stepped
>> > gradient instead of a continues one. See:
>> >
>> > http://www.poprostu.pl/~piero/gnome/stepped-gradient.png
>> >
>> > for screenshot. I don't have problems with other places where gradients
>> > appear, nor pictures that blend colours. What to do? TIA,
>>
>>I see this as a smooth gradient.  What is your color depth set to?

Same here.  Your problem is that your colour depth has downgraded to 16-bits
or something to that effect.  You should edit your XF86Config, under the
"Screen" section, add "DefaultDepth 24" somewhere, then restart X.  That
should fix you up.

If not, take two asprins and call me in the morning.

- Max