Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:08:24 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata ata-disk.c

In message <XFMail.010131160300.jhb@osd.bsdi.com> John Baldwin writes:
: during boot.  One thing that Mike Smith would like to do (or so he has
: told me) is to have aa env top-level sysctl node that mapped any names
: below it to equivalent kernel environment variables, which would require
: some subtle changes to the way sysctl works, but nothing too drastic.

I'd like to see that as well.  I'd also like to see the hints settable
after boot so that you can tweak things.  But they are close to
sysctls in many ways (except for the API for getting the data).

One problem is that sysctl is readable by the whole world and root can
write anything.  This is both too permissive and too strict.

Warner