Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:55:08 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Rob Levandowski <robl@phoebe.accinet.net>
Cc:        "George Ellenburg" <gme@sundial.net>, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Matt Stein" <matt@ican.net>
Subject:   Re: Year 2000 compliance statement?

>This, for the price of a simple note stating that the OS is Y2K
>compliant, or that users must apply certain patches to the core OS to be
>Y2K compliant.

   I think for a statement like that to have any value, it would need to be
backed up by a commercial organization. For that, Walnut Creek CDROM has
been advertising that FreeBSD is Y2K compliant since at least last fall
when it was stated on the Comdex show banners.
   The closest I can get to the statement you are asking for is "We believe,
but cannot guarantee, that FreeBSD is Y2K compliant. We've spent a significant
amount of time verifying this to be the case, but it is possible that something
may have been overlooked. If a Y2K bug is found in the future, we will attempt
to fix it as soon as possible".

-DG

David Greenman