Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:15:43 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        AlistairP@foschini.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-questions@rentboy.co.za
Subject:   Re: Sendmail not relaying to localhost (4.6 and 4.7 RELEASE)

# AlistairP@foschini.co.za / 2002-11-21 11:30:30 +0200:
> I had a weird problem a while ago that after installing
> FreeBSD 4.6 RELEASE sendmail was not accepting local mail
> for delivery.
>
> After looking at "mail -v <user>" I saw that sendmail was
> not accepting relaying for the localhost.  Now I could
> telnet to localhost on port 25 and that worked so SMTP
> itself was running.

    that's not the same thing. mail(1) doesn't talk SMTP AFAIK.

> The problem turned out to be that in /etc/hosts the following
> was missing:
>
> 	::1	localhost
>
> Now I thought that maybe that was an isolated problem with
> FBSD4.6 but I install 4.7 last night (Mini ISO) and had the
> exact same problem.  The /etc/hosts file did not have ::1

    do you use IPv6? if not (and you're not, or you wouldn't be asking
    the question below), it's meaningless.

> I have been told that the ::1 is a IPV6 loopback?  Is that
> correct?

    yes, it's the IPv6 loopback.

> Why would it seem to be missing from the install?

    *probably* because it's irrelevant in 99.5% cases?

    show us your /etc/rc.conf, and your sendmail configuration.