Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 21:42:48 -0400
From:      Michael Sharp <freebsd@ec.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dynamic Rules with IPFW

I use Dynamic rulesets with IPFW:

ipfw add check-state
ipfw add deny tcp from any to any established
ipfw add allow tcp from my-net to any setup keep-state

But I also have services I need anyone on the net to get to, without me making a connection first from " my-net ". I allow such services with:

allow tcp from any to my-net 25,80,443 setup in via xl0 keep-state

This works fine for 25,80, and 443. However, when I apply the same rule for SSH, and login to my box remotely, about 10 minutes later, the connection just dies, and it dies with every connection. Removing the keep-state option for ssh effectively closes 22 obviously.  Would check-state be a better option here?

Michael