Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 02:15:12 -0700
From:      Brian Litzinger <brian@mpress.com>
To:        Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Teletext and intercast

On May 14, Alan Batie <batie@aahz.jf.intel.com> wrote:
> > I have a hard time believing that there
> > are technical or legal impedements to the deployment of something
> > like intercast outside the US.
>
> Again, I'll disclaim any real knowledge of matters, but I've heard that
> the VBI market is getting crowded.  While teletext has the advantage of
> being grandfathered, it wouldn't surprise me if new applications for it
> had to go through hoops to get space allocated, not to mention typical
> bureaucratic stuff (aren't a lot of the overseas tv stations government
> run?).  You also have to worry about what other people are doing with
> it already (I've heard of at least one instance where they discovered
> that the hard way).

I'm the ex-CTO of International Teletext Corporation which later became
Advanced Wiresless Inc, which later ceased operating because no
one was interested in VBI encoded data.

The major problem we had with the deployment of VBI services is
shown in the following example:

   1. Buy 3 line VBI right of way on HSN (home shopping network).

   2. Broadcast stock data, internet stuff, email, etc via the 3 VBIs

   3. Get 60K or so customers.

   4. Have many people reporting troubles.

   5. Find out that joe six-pack cable operator is stripping the VBI
      off HSN cuz he can. you explain to him the problem, and he says when
      are you going to send him a check for your use of his VBI.

--
Brian Litzinger
brian@mediacity.com