Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 14:48:26 +0200
From:      Dimitar Peikov <mitko@bgzone.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance issue

On Sun, 09 Dec 2001 12:42:50 +0100
Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> There are many effects that could cause this, for instance if FreeBSD
> manages to align things differently in relation to the CPU cache you
> could get some very interesting waste of time that way.

Yes, I agree that in this case performance lost can be found in CPU Cache, but this can be true and when run on Linux, isn't it?

> Based on the data you show me, I can't really say that something is
> wrong or right either way.

Before I post this, I've got several experiments about that and the bottleneck was memory operations. The rest of my algorithm got near the same results. When perform only (malloc/free) operations without any touch of that allocated memory, there is no problem. The problem becames when you try to access it and only for the first memory hit. There is no mather if only one byte or whole memory block should be accessed, the difference is constantly the same.  Or the problem is on all FreeBSD boxes installed near me?

> --

Dimitar Peikov
Programmer Analyst
Globalization Group