Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:36:16 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        nclayton@lehman.com
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tekmetrics tests

On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 03:00:35PM +0100, nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> In re the discussion last week about the TekMetrics tests; I've just
> got in touch with them to find out how we go about requesting/creating
> a FreeBSD technical test.  More information as I get it.

Right.  I've had a follow-up e-mail from Bill Lake, one of their VPs.

In it, he says;

> We need to understand the business case for the development. We typically
> develop a test for a customer requirement for about $20,000 - $40,000 USD
> depending on the type of test. All of our tests are computer adaptive, which
> requires a large test question set. This allows the tests to be delivered
> securely over the internet, and makes them rapid and accurate.
>
> Assuming the test is a "standard" type of test, we could develop it and
> validate it in 8-10 weeks.
>
> We would be glad to establilsh a reseller relationship in which you can sell
> this and other tekmetrics tests and would pay you a commission.
>
> I don't know much about your organization- are you in a position to invest
> in the development of the test? Would you want us to integrate into your
> site so it appears to be a part of your content? What demand for this
> product can you forcast? Would you consider bundling a test-prep package,
> provided by tekmetrics.com with the FreeBSD?

First off, does anyone want to follow this up before I do?  He's said
he'd prefer to discuss this on the phone, but this is a little tricky
with me being in the UK and them in the US.  If you do, give me a shout.

Either way, I'm going to reply with some information about FreeBSD, how
we discovered the Tekmetrics site, noticing the Linux test, the increase
in take-up of FreeBSD, and so on, and see where we go from there.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>