Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:52:57 -0800
From:      "Arthur M. Kang" <arthur@levelogic.com>
To:        Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Pawe=B3?= Dubin <paweld@suimed.tpnet.pl>, hackers@freebsd.org, pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject:   Re: [GENERAL] Re: spontaneous reboots FreeBSD 3.x and 4.0-stable

Had this rebooting problem before for a while and it drove me NUTZ!  Inst=
alled RedHat
and FreeBSD and both rebooted periodically.  Don't know if my solution wi=
ll help or not,
but what was causing my reboots was the system BIOS.  The options for Pow=
er Management
in the system BIOS should have some settings for the monitor as well as t=
he hard drive.
I was finding that the spinning down of the hard drive caused the machine=
 to reboot.  No
traces in any error logs or anything...

Hope that helps somebody...somewhere...  :)

Arthur

Jim Mercer wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 12:06:05PM +0100, Pawe=B3 Dubin wrote:
> > > the first system runs 3.4-stable and gets spontaneous reboots infre=
quently,
> > > and there are no messages (dmesg, console or syslog) indicating why=
 it rebooted.
> > > the new system runs 4.0-stable, doesn't have vinum, and is spontane=
ously
> > > rebooting (several times in 48 hrs).  again no messages indicting t=
he problem.

> > We have similar problem (the same configuration but RH 5.1) (I dont k=
now what
> > is vinum). It is probably from scsi board when we have 4 devices it r=
eboots
> > every 3 days. now with 2 devices every 2 weeks.
> >
> > It is probably caused by intel -> driver -> scsi cooperation, because=
  on K6
> > system works ok. Maybe newer kernel with recognized pentium bugs.
>
> i wonder, it might actually be heat.
>
> in the first system, it was originally housed in an IBM PC 325 cabinet =
and
> rebooted quite frequently, then it was moved to a 48VDC rackmount chass=
is,
> with somewhat better airflow, and it rebooted less frequently.
>
> the new server is a rackmount case, but it doesn't have much in the way=
 of
> extra fans.
>
> is it possible the reboots we are seeing are due to some component over=
heating?

> > Sorry for my english
>
> your english is fine.
>
> --
> [ Jim Mercer                 jim@reptiles.org              +1 416 506-0=
654 ]
> [          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood      =
    ]
> [  Don't be fooled by cheap Finnish imitations; BSD is the One True Cod=
e.  ]