Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 20:05:28 +0100
From:      "robi" <rnunnari@libero.it>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   minimal (binary) installation upgrade

Hi there.

I have a pc with a small HD and a minimal (just binary, no docs,
no man, no src, etc...) 4.0-RELEASE. Now I want to upgrade it
to STABLE using a second PC where I cvsup'd STABLE.

So this is the configuration:
- machine A:
  - stable src-all, doc-all
  - current ports-all
- machine B:
  - minimal installation 4.0-release

I modified /etc/make.conf on both A and B with all options
I found on /etc/defaults/make.conf that let's you not include
parts of the system (NOPROFILE, NO_CVS, NO_SENDMAIL,
NO_SHAREDOCS, etc...)

So I went on and
- buildworld, buildkernel on A
- mounted /usr/src and /usr/obj on B.
- installkernel and installworld on B

But it failed during installworld for a write error as
there's no space left on the HD. So I checked and found
out that this configuration installs far too much... even
the man pages...

How can I get a minimal installation using installworld
like the one I had from the installation CD? (only binaries,
no doc, no src, ...)

Please reply to my mailbox as well, as I'm not on the list.

Best regards.
--
Roberto Nunnari
Luck is... miss the wrong train.