Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:44:00 -0400
From:      Mike Hauber <m.hauber@mchsi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tar pitting automated attacks

On Thursday 09 September 2004 11:00 am, Ted Mittelstaedt
proclaimed:

That makes sense...  I haven't gotten so much into security
that I would want to "invite" a potential cracker.  I would
just assume they go and bug someone else (who knows, maybe
it will result in more BSD admins.  :) )

How difficult would it be to have a "dummy" system setup on
the LAN where incoming SSH could be transparently routed
to.  In fact (and even the idea gives me the creeps), how
difficult would it be to change "root" to something else,
and then create a dummy root account.  I mean, if one is
attempting to get a cracker to waste his time, then why not
wet his whistle and let him think he's actually getting
somewhere?

I don't know anything about this kind of thing (I'm just not
devious enough, I guess).  How should I go about googling
this to learn more?  Is there a term for it?

Thx,

Mike