Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:51:37 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: Keyboard troubles

>> Why not just get a decent monitor/keyboard switch?  Belkin makes a
>> nice 4-port in the $200 range that makes your motherboard think
>> there's a keyboard attached even if you are not currently switched
>> onto the system.
>
>I have something quite similar..  Still, seems like some individuals
>remain adamantly opposed to the idea of keyboard swapping, however
>careful one is. :-)

For the record,...

I never said that I was against using console switch products.  (They
are designed to be safe.  If it causes the problem, we can
categorically say that it is the manufacturer's fault.)  I am against
hot-plugging and swapping the keyboard.

You may be careful and you know the risk.  But, others may not.

I don't like to spread the false impression that the PC keyboard
interface is designed for hot-plugging/unplugging, and will repeat (or
even shout :-) as many times as necessary, "It is not recommended to
attach or detach the PC keyboard while the power is on".

If you want to hot-plug the keyboard, do it at your own risk.  But,
please, please, please do not advice other users that it is a safe
thing to do; it simply is not.

Kazu