Date:      Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:16:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        He Jiaren <hejiaren@trewde.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, He Jiaren wrote:

> 	hmm.....Yup. I've copied the files to C:\freebsd and I've defrag it.
> 	But what do you mean "shrink it with FIPS" how I do that? And about that
> idimage part,
> 	I don't know whether I have done that. But I have booted that boot
> floppy(I don't know how I did that)
> 	and I went thru the setup.But I didn't successfully partition for the
> FreeBSD. So how I partition it 	and what do you think i'm suppose to do now?

You'll find fips within the `tools' directory. It works fine with FAT16
partitions. If you've W95 with VFAT 32 you need to buy partition magic or
to reinstall W95 after partitioning the hard disk.

What does partition mean? You must divide your hard disk into separate
partitions which can be used by different OS. Your harddisk `looks'
like two or more disks if you've two or more partitions.

Try FDISK under DOS to display the partition(s) on your hard disk. You can
start FIPS under DOS to modify the partition table. I recommend Greg
Leheys `The Complete FreeBSD' (Walnut Creek CDROM Books) to you since it
can help a novice very much.

Konrad Heuer

// Gesellschaft fuer wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH
// Goettingen (GWDG), Am Fassberg, D-37077 Goettingen, Germany
//
// kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de