Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 1995 00:23:17 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rich@spirit.com.au (Rich Siggs)
Cc:        hsu@clinet.fi, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 16 ports Boca - anyone using it?

> 	I've done testing of this port-no-probe behaviour on both my AST/4
> cards & the BOCA.  Both of them have the _potential_ to fail a port's probe if
> DCD is set, but not all DCD-active ports fail a crash-reboot probe..
> However, a port that has DCD _&_ either TX or RX at the crash is bound to fail
> the probe (ain't 100%, but certainly 75% probable ;)   *Hmm*
>
> Could this be related to the 16550A's, or (as suggested) some code in the
> boot probe?

Hmmmm...  that could be what I saw the other day  :-)

As a related topic:  I've been having very occasional problems with a
BB2016 (very occasional ~== every week or two).  All the ports just "up and
die".  They come back after a reboot.  Having caught an incident in progress,
I did some "debugging" and ran cu on a port.  I typed "AT<cr>" and saw my
echo, but no response from the modem - until I hit another key.  Hmmm,
having some familiarity with that particular symptom from past lives, I
poke around further, run systat and notice that there are ZERO interrupts
coming in from the board.  (explanation: the only way that input arrives
is when it checks as the output is sent).

Um.  "Fascinating", I say.  I didn't have any diagnostic tools handy so I
rebooted the box and wrote a little program that would page me if the board
died again.  The next day I went and hooked up my trusty logic probe, and
the wait began.  :-)  A week later (last nite, actually!), I got a page,
and fortunately somebody was at the office to observe the logic probe.
The interrupt line is being held ACTIVE....???!!!  (solid red on the probe,
normally green).

Do any sio-shared-interrupt-geniuses have any ideas?  I can picture all
sorts of plausible race conditions and I have no idea what the code is
doing.

My next "well lets try this" idea is to try opening and read/writing all the
ports the next time my BB2016 gets in this state, to see if that un-wedges
the interrupt.  Haven't written the code to do this yet, however...

Comments, etc.,?

... Joe