Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:13:42 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading all ports

On Monday 27 June 2005 17:37, Denny White wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, RW wrote:
> > On Saturday 25 June 2005 12:22, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> >> I want to do a portupgrade on all installed ports.
> >>
> >> What's the right way?
> >> 	"portupgrade -arR ?"
> >> 	or
> >> 	"portupgrade -a" ?
> >
> > AFAIK there is no difference between the two; "-a" means upgrade all
> > ports in the package database, "-Rr" means add in the dependencies and
> > dependent ports based on what's in the database, but these are already
> > covered by -a. New dependencies are built as a side-effect of building
> > out-of-date ports - not through the -R option.
> >
> > There *is* a difference between -FRa and -Fa because -FR is translated
> > into a "make checksum-recursive". Anyone who believes that portupgrade is
> > slower than removing all port and reinstalling has probably been misled
> > by watching portupgrade -FRa which runs "make checksum-recursive" for
> > each installed port and so visits some ports many time.

> This couldn't have come at a better time for me.
> I really boned things up about 40 hours ago. I was
> getting ready to leave and because I'd been doing
> some learning/experimenting with portupgrade on
> some held ports, I hit the wrong switch. I think
> it was portupgrade -arRF & now, about 40 hours
> later, shortly after returning home, we're still
> going, going, going....... Things are really in
> a mess & I've read the recent posts on this thread
> & can attest, sitting here for several hours, that
> "visits some ports many times" is an understatement.
> It's becoming rediculous & I'm wondering if, at
> some point, when clean is going after something
> else was just upgraded, if I can break out & go
> back with a simple portupgrade -arR & not screw
> things up to badly.

You can break-out of portupgrade -arRF anytime you like, it's only fetching
distfiles not upgrading anything. Normally portupgrade -Fa will fetch all the
file you needs, but portupgrade -FRa is a bit more thorough.

Really though you don't need to run with the -F option at all, unless you
can't build online or want to prefetch files. If it's  taking 40 hours
though, it probably means that your cache of files is badly out-of-date and
you are getting slow downloads - a clean pass that doesn't fetch anything
shouldn't take more than a hour.