Date:      Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:25:51 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        pam@polynet.lviv.ua, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Offtopic Q] Smallest network feasible to announce as separate AS route in Internet

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 09:15:32PM +0300, pam@polynet.lviv.ua wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have one very practical question. I've heard that backbone routers
> in the Internet have installed route filters blocking BGP
> announcements of very small networks.
>
> What is the smallest network prefix, which could be safely
> announced as multi-homed (via separate AS number) in the
> Internet?
>
> Thanks for help and appologies for being offtopic.

Used to be that a /19 was the safest that not filtered by various providers
(unless you could get space in the older allocations -- I've seen
/28's routed in there :-), but with ARIN changing it's allocation
policies, more and more providers are relaxing the limits.  A /19 should
be a safe bet, though.  If you can't get one, make sure that the address
space you get is in the old, not-filtered region (can't remember the range,
but someone on the list may know)

--Mark