Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:18:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Followup on changing root device to st0s1a

On 11-Jun-98 Jesse wrote:

> Previously my system with a DPT SCSI/RAID card and drives wouldn't boot,
> giving the following error:
>
> changing root device to st0s1a
> panic: cannot mount root
>
> I noticed that although the dpt0 device was recognized and loaded, there
> attached hard drives weren't recognized (this is when booting off the HD
> -- when booting off the install floppy, it worked). So I compiled a
> kernel
> with a DPT driver from another of my systems, then using the fixit mode,
> copied that kernel onto the system. I then rebooted and started up using
> that kernel. All is good now.
>
> I guess the moral of the story is that the boot-dpt.flp install doesn't
> put all the drivers/settings necessary to handle a DPT card + drives (in
> all situations? maybe just some), so you have to make your own.

I apologize to any and all for the state of these boot floppies.  I have
been, in the past, maintaining my own release image and updated it from
time to time.  Since I moved, I did not have the time, until few days ago,
to do so. As I do not post to my release server releases that are untested,
and since the move I have not been able to setup my test lab, things suffer.
The boot floppy you obtained (presumably) from ftp.freebsd.org was not
tested by yours truely.  I will get back on track in the next week or so.

At that time, in addition to the normal FreeBSD archives, you will be able
to find (first) 3.0-current releases, tested with the DPT driver, and
(later) 2.2 releases, tested the same way, at
   ftp://simon-shapiro.org/FreeBSD.

Again, my apologies for not serving you better...

Simon

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                           Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG